EAA Airventure Museum

Visitor Information
Museum Activities
Our Collection

The Virtual Museum
Flight Operations
Museum Education
Suport The Museum

CURTISS A-1 PUSHER “Sweetheart” – N24034

Built in the Glen H. Curtiss shops at Hammondsport, New York, in 1912, the Curtiss Pusher Model E-8-75 was shipped to San Diego, California and used for pilot training at the Curtiss facility on Coronado Island. John Kaminski of Milwaukee, Wisconsin, a student at the flying school, bought the aircraft in May of 1912 and shipped it back to Wisconsin for exhibition use. John was the first licensed pilot in Wisconsin and it was he who nicknamed the Pusher “Sweetheart”.

In 1915, the Curtiss Pusher was sold to a blacksmith in Sullivan, Wisconsin who used the engine on an iceboat, which later sank and was never recovered. The airframe was stored in a barn until discovered in 1940 by CAA Inspector, A. C. Goddard, who bought the remains. A restoration was begun, but the task had not been completed when Goddard lost his life in an auto accident in 1956.

The aircraft’s remains were purchased from the Goddard estate by Dale Crites of Waukesha, Wisconsin and, together with Earl Cox of Hartland, Wisconsin; a total rebuild was accomplished over a ten-year period. A 1918 Curtiss OX-5 engine was installed as a powerplant and on June 17, 1966, 53 years after the plane had last flown, Dale Crites flew the Pusher with its unique “yoke” aileron control operated by the pilot’s shoulders.

The Curtiss Pusher was made of an all-wood construction. The main fuselage poles were made of bamboo and balloon cloth fabric was stretched over the wings and tacked in place. A combination of a wheel for rudder control, stick for elevators, a foot pedal for throttle, and a shoulder harness for aileron comprised the controls. The original throttle pedal remains in front of the rudder bar, but a small lever type throttle attached to the seat actually controlled the power in the Pusher’s later days of flight.

Numerous exhibition flights were made over several years in the 1960s until Dale Crites donated the Curtis Pusher to the EAA AirVenture Museum in 1969. At that time, it was the oldest licensed airplane still flying in the United States. In July of 1984, Dale Crites flew the Curtiss Pusher replica to break the tape and officially open Pioneer Airport. Now the Pusher Sweetheart rests in the shadows of the Wright Flyer replica as part of a display in tribute to the first days of flight.

pusher_sweetheart Table of Contents

Accredited by the American Association of Museums
| Home | Visitor Information | Activities | News | Collection |
Virtual Museum |
| Flight Operations | Education | Support | Store | EAA Home |

All content, logos, pictures, and videos are the property of EAA
Copyright © 2014 - Experimental Aircraft Association, Inc.
Disclaimer/Privacy Statement
If you have any comments or questions contact webmaster@eaa.org

EAA Aviation Center P.O. Box 3086 Oshkosh, WI 54903-3086
Phone: 920.426.4800