1929 Pheasant H-10 - NC151N
Started in Memphis, MO in 1928, the Pheasant Aircraft Company moved to Fond du Lac, WI in 1930 following the death of founder Lee R. Briggs. S. J. “Steve” Wittman had been Pheasant’s chief test pilot and continued to assist in the aircraft’s development. Steve entered a Pheasant in the 1928 Air Derby and finished with an impressive 4th place. The Pheasant was a good airplane that might have been more successful had it not fallen victim to the depression of the 1930s. Only three examples are known to survive of the approximately 41 that were built.
In 1935, Philip Stier of Sussex, Wisconsin, paid $70 for a 1929 Pheasant H-10. After flying the plane for about 12 hours, Stier stored it in his barn. There, it would lie dormant for 33 years before Stier sold it to the EAA in 1971. Jim Gorman of Mansfield, Ohio, provided funds for the purchase.
Built by the Pheasant Aircraft Co. of Fond du Lac, Wisconsin. ATC #36, granted 4-1928
Obtained from: Phillip J. Stier, Sussex, WI