MONOCOUPE 90AW “Little Mulligan” – N38904
The Monocoupe 90 first appeared on the market in 1930. The Model 90 quickly proved to be a lively combination of soft, round curves that inherited all the best from the earlier Model 113, plus several new innovations that had marked it as quite an outstanding little airplane. The “90” was a good, solid bargain for the money and sold quite well even through 1931, despite the weakening economy that greatly affected the market.
The Monocoupe 90 was a high-wing, cabin monoplane with room for two people, seated side by side. The frame was well rounded and featured delicately graceful lines that set the pattern for all variants produced in the next ten years. The fuselage framework was built up of welded steel tubing in a rigid truss form, heavily faired to shape with dural metal sheet formers and wooden fairing strips. The wings were built up of solid spruce spars with wing ribs of basswood webs and spruce cap-strips. The leading edges were covered with dural metal sheet and the entire framework was covered in fabric.
Harold Neumann bought a Monocoupe 90A after retiring as an airline pilot. He converted the Monocoupe for use in air shows and IAC aerobatic competitions, so it was only natural to dub his 90A with the name “Little Mulligan.” Harold’s Little Mulligan was powered by a 145 hp Warner engine. He won the 1935 Thompson Trophy and competed quite successfully in IAC’s Sportsman category until he was well into his 70s.
Harold Neumann and R. James donated Little Mulligan to the EAA AirVenture Museum in 1994, making EAA the proud owner of an extensive collection of Monocoupes.
monocoupe_90aw Table of Contents